Monday, February 6, 2012

Toward a Feeling-Based Understanding: Journal Notes #77

Notes from my April 2010 Zhan Zhuang Training Journal. I train with The School of Cultivation and Practice which practices Wujifa zhan zhuang. (My current reflections are added in italics.)

* Question: How do I bridge or connect the isolated kinesthetic feelings I'm noticing?
Answer: You tend to work from a mechanistic paradigm and you tend to see and experience parts. Even your question of looking for a "bridge" from separate and distinct (1) - (2) - (3) - (4) feeling sets to a single (1234) feeling set is still seeing and experiencing feeling in a mechanistic "parts" paradigm.

(Also, see my article How Do I Learn Zhan Zhuang (April 28, 2010) on this blog which includes more notes and drawings from this answer.)

* Question: So what's the next level for me? How do I transition from a mechanistic-based understanding to a feeling-based understanding?
Answer: You cannot anticipate what the next level might be until you have accomplished the level on which you are currently working.

For example, you must first learn addition before you can learn multiplication. You cannot explain multiplication if you only know addition. However, after you learn multiplication then you can also explain addition.

The previous cannot explain the next. The next can also explain the previous. Whatever level you have achieved, you are then able to explain the previous level.
(I think the answer to "How do I transition?" cannot be obtained or provided from anyone else as a "How To". And if someone does provide a "How To", I think this could too easily become yet another mechanistic method to the person in the mechanistic paradigm. I think that how I make the transition is how I figure out internally how to do it and my way cannot be anyone else' way although we may all go about it a similar way.
In a feeling art like internal gong fu, I have now progressed through several levels of feeling-skill and there are many more to go. Unfortunately, I am not aware of an established "feeling skill ranking" in the internal kung-fu world and so the levels I identify may not be levels others identify.)


* Note: When it comes to guidance on developing functional internal kinesthetic feeling-based skills, I've learned more in Wujifa class than anywhere else. It's good stuff!


Further reading:
Introductory article explaining this "Journal Notes" series: Zhan Zhuang Training Journal
Previous article in this series: From Method to Feeling: Journal Notes #76
Next article in this series: - Methods, Feeling, Thinking: Journal Notes #78

No comments:

Post a Comment